SEO is not a one time process because search engines change their algorithm on regular basis to improve the search result. Some big search engines like Google, Yahoo, MSN, AltaVista, Inktomi, etc change their algorithm to improve visibility of website for the search terms entered by users. So, it is important for SEO Company or individual SEO guru to understand new algorithm and need to make changes accordingly to stay on top in search engines. SEO tactics that may have helped in the past may not help any more in present or in the future.
Here are some fatal SEO mistakes that affect natural search engine ranking of a website. Every SEO must keep following things in mind when they start optimizing a website for their clients.
(1) Start SEO from the beginning: - Some SEO wait for a search engine crawl to crawl website first and then implement SEO, it is highly recommend making website SEO friendly first and then only you should submit it in search engine.
(2) Make your website search engine friendly: - Other big mistake that many SEO’s do is that they don’t make site search engine friendly. To make search engine friendly website, add robotos.txt file and also try to remove query string or argument from the URL of page. Also try to include keyword in url. Make site map clear and easy to navigate so search engine easily follow all pages and can crawl website regularly. Also you can add website map in Google sitemap this will increase the visibility of your web pages in search engine index.
(3) Copying content from other website: - Website content is vital for search engine ranking. Many SEOs directly copy content from other website; this is not a good idea. Write fresh content and try to make content that is useful for users first and then for search engine.
(4) Link Farms: - Some SEO companies participate in Link farms website that provide thousands of link back in short period. It is true that link exchange can help you in improving your search engine ranking but if thousands of websites link back to your website within short period then search engine may banned your website, so never participate in link farms.
(5) Keyword Selection: - Never compete for general keywords, always try to optimize on keyword phrase. If your website is selling Flat Panel TVs then don’t optimize for TV but try to focus on relevant keyword.
(6) Keyword Stuffing in Meta and Content: - Keyword stuffing is BIG NO NO for SEO. Never stuff keywords in your Meta tag. If you put bunch of keywords in your Meta tag then the search engine considers your website as spam.
(7) Excessive use of H Tag: - Head tag acquires good percentage for optimizing a website. Use H tag for most relevant keywords. Make heading tag descriptive and meaning full.
(8) Same Meta tag through out site: - It is very crucial to write unique Meta tag for each and every page. So try to keep Meta tags different for each page. It is more difficult to write different Meta tags for dynamic website but it is important to have unique Meta for every pages.
(9) Waste time in checking website ranking in search engine: - Don’t waste your time in checking website ranking daily in search engine. Spend this time in optimizing website.
(10) Same anchor text on all link back site: - This is very important to use different anchor text for all link back sites. If you use same anchor text then it looks unnatural, so your link anchor text must varied site by site and you will see good traffic from all related anchor terms.
Please Note: This is not a complete list of SEO mistakes. If you have any comments or suggestions about this SEO article then feel free to add them.